If your router is broadcasting wifi in 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time, it is still possible to add Hombli devices to your wifi.
As you probably know our devices will only connect to 2.4GHz, and it will try to connect to the frequency your phone is connected to at the time of pairing. If you are close to the router, the 5GHz signal is probably stronger, so your phone will likely connect to that frequency, and will try to add the Hombli device to the same frequency causing the connection between your router and the Hombli device to fail. Possible solutions are:
1. Splitting the frequencies in your router.
By giving the wifi networks your router creates different names, e.g.: “Home wifi 2.4GHz”, and “Home wifi 5GHz”
This can likely be set up in your router, although this is not the case for all routers. Check your router settings, or the manual for the router if this is an option for you.
2. Disabling 5GHz in your router settings.
If there is no 5GHz network, your phone cannot connect to it.
3. Disabling connections to 5GHz in your phone settings.
Some phones have the option to only connect to 2.4GHz networks. That way you are also sure to connect to the right type of network for Hombli devices. After pairing your Hombli device, you can turn this option off again in your phone, so your phone can connect to 5GHz networks again. Check your phone settings, or the manual for your phone if this is an option for you
4. Connecting to your router on your phone, while being further away from your router
This might sound like a bit of Dark Magic, but it might be the simplest option, no changing of any options required! The difference between 2.4GHz and 5Ghz is that 5Ghz is stronger closer to the router, but 2.4GHz has a further reach. So if you stand further away from your router, your phone will be more likely to choose the 2.4Ghz network.
To summarize: please make sure your phone is connected to your router via a 2.4GHz frequency, before adding a Hombli device.
We hope this helps to explain it clearly for you, but please let us know if any questions remain!
The Hombli Smart IR Remote Control can be reset by means of the reset button on the bottom of the device. If you keep this pressed for five seconds, the remote will reset itself. The light will start blinking once more, and it can be added once more to the Hombli App.
You can have a Hombli device connect to your home network in two ways:
- Add manually
- Connect via Auto Scan
1. Add Manually
- Connect your phone to your 2.4 GHz home network. 5GHz WiFi networks are not supported.
- In the Hombli app, press the green plus symbol to add a device.
- At the top of the screen, choose manual addition, this is already selected by default.
- Select the Smart IR Remote Control in the “Sensors” category.
- Choose continue if the remote is already blinking as indicated on the screen.
- If the remote is not yet blinking as indicated on the screen, press “help” for instructions to reset the remote.
2. Auto Scan
- Connect your phone to your 2.4 GHz home network. 5GHz WiFi networks are not supported
- Switch on your Bluetooth
- Switch on the location service of your phone and give the Hombli app access to your location
- In the Hombli app, press the green plus symbol to add a device
- Select Auto Scan at the top of the screen. The Hombli app will then search for and add all available devices
If your remote control has been successfully added, but the device you want to control does not respond to the signals from the Hombli IR Remote Control, then the signals are probably blocked by an object.
The Hombli Smart IR Remote Control works with infrared signals, which cannot pass through walls or other objects that obstruct the view between the IR remote and the device that you want to control. So always ensure that there is a free line of sight between the device and the Hombli Smart IR Remote Control.
There are two ways to add a remote control to the Hombli Smart IR Remote Control:
- Select a pre-programmed channel under the name of the manufacturer of the device that you want to add.
- Adding a remote manually.
1. Select a Pre-Programmed Channel
You can choose from different channels per product in the Hombli app to test them:
In the example there are only four channels, for other brands this number may differ. You don’t have to try them all; as soon as you find a channel where three buttons work well, you can press “select”.
In some cases, a suitable frequency may not be available under the manufacturer of the device that you want to add to the Hombli Smart IR Remote Control. In this case the necessary frequency may be present under the name of other manufacturers. There are a lot of frequencies available under the mention of Motorola, it is quite possible that one of these frequencies also corresponds to the frequency of your device.
2. Adding a Remote Manually
If you are unable to find a suitable frequency using the method above, it is still possible to add a remote control. The remote control that you want to add must of course use infrared frequencies. RF, WiFi, Bluetooth or other remote controls will not be recognized by the Hombli Smart IR Remote.
You can add a remote in the app by:
- Select the Hombli Smart IR Remote in the Hombli app
- Select “add remote”
- Select “DIY”
- select “custom type”
- Select “continue”
- Briefly press the button that you want to add, aimed at the IR hub, at a distance of 3 cm
- The result in the app can then be given a name, for example “volume up”
Didn’t find an answer here? Please contact Customer Support